What To Do If Your Basement Floods
Have you ever had your basement flood or have some water get inside after a storm? Some basements are more common to flood and it can be a very overwhelming experience. If your basement is flooding all of the time, then there could be serval issues causing that to happen. In this storm blog, we are going to talk about the things you can do once your basement is flooded. Being prepared and having a plan can help prevent a lot of damage to your home as well as your things.
Below Listed are a few things to do before help arrives, if the basement is finished you may not be able to complete some of these steps because a lot more material will be affected.
- Shut off any power or gas around the area. Never enter an area that is flooded while the power is on.
- Take action after the storm has passed
- Wear protective gear
- Make sure all floor drains are not covered, this will help drain the water
- Start to remove the water from the basement; If there is a lot of water use a sump pump or a pool pump. Once that is complete use a wet/dry vacuum and mop and bucket to clean up what you can.
- Next move on to your items that are affected by the water damage. Move your items that have water damage to a place where they can dry out, otherwise, bacteria will grow like mold and mildew.
- Pull up carpets and dry/ toss
- Give basements several days to dry with equipment
With major water damage, it is best to call a restoration company for help. Things like drying/ removing carpet, drying furniture, drying walls is not an easy task for a homeowner. It is very time consuming and there can be a lot of uncertainty if you are doing it yourself. If it is not restored properly you can leave yourself with mold and mildew issues down the road. Restoration companies have the experience, training, tools, and equipment to fully restore your basement.